Another frigid day calls for another soup recipe, because really nothing else warms you up the same way, except maybe a glass of wine or two. We made/ created this recipe this past weekend and I must say it is yummy! I have already had the leftovers twice.
We actually took this crock pot recipe from Pinterest ( Joyfulhomemaking.com) and used it as a template and then got creative with it.
Sausage Quinoa and Vegetable Soup
1 tsp. olive oil
3 cloves garlic
1 lb. sweet turkey sausage
6 cups of chicken broth
1 T chili powder
1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
1/2 cup uncooked quinoa
4 red potatoes
1 can garbanzo beans
6 baby carrots
6 small button mushrooms
1 28 oz can petite diced tomatoes with garlic and olive oil
1 bag arugula
Salt and pepper to taste
This is one of those soup recipes that you can basically throw everything in a pot and let it cook for twenty minutes.
1. Cook the turkey sausage on a frying pan.
2. Chop the onion, carrots and mushrooms into small pieces and in a separate pan cook the onion, carrots and mushrooms in the olive oil and cook until the vegetables soften and begin to brown.
3. Meanwhile add the chicken broth, garlic, chili powder, red peppers, uncooked quinoa, cooked red potatoes ( I just microwaved the potatoes and cut them up into small pieces), garbanzo beans and diced tomatoes into a large pot. Cook on medium heat for twenty minutes or until the soup begins to simmer.
4. Add the vegetables and sausages to soup pot once they are cooked.
5. Season with salt and pepper
Top with arugula and enjoy!